4 portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, caps halved and sliced crosswise ¼-inch thick
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 shitake mushrooms
1 sweet onion, chopped fine
8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced ¼-inch thick
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
½ cup wine (whatever you are drinking while you cook. I have used both red and white)
¼ cup good balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3½ cups milk (I use 1%)
2 tablespoons dried basil
2 tablespoons dried parsley
9 lasagna sheets
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded ¾ Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the portobello & shitake mushrooms with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread out on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the mushrooms until shriveled and all liquid released from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting. Transfer mushrooms to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally until softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the onions to the bowl with the roasted mushrooms.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the empty skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add minced garlic and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the sliced baby bella mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and all moisture has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the butter and allow to melt. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly, then stir in the nutmeg and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir in basil and parsley.
5. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package. spray 9x13 glass cooking dish with with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Toss together the shredded Fontina and grated Parmesan cheeses in a small bowl. Spread 1 cup of the mushroom sauce evenly over the bottom of the prepared dish. Arrange 3 noodles in a single layer on top of the sauce. Spread half of the remaining sauce evenly over the noodles, then sprinkle with 2 cups of the mushroom-onion mixture and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layering of noodles, sauce, mushroom-onion mixture. For the final layer, arrange the remaining 3 noodles on top and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
7. Bake lasagna until bubbling, about 10 minutes. Let cool and serve.